Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tutorial: ISO

What is ISO?
ISO is the abbreviation of International Organisation of Standardisation.What does this have to do with taking photos? I have absolutely no idea. I'm just going to tell you how it affects your photos.

How does it work?
During the day, there are different types of brightness. This affects the sensitivity of the image sensor.

How is it measured?
It's measured in numbers and they normally double up from the previous number, so it starts of at 100, then 200, 400, 800 etc. Some cameras have different maximum ISO's and my camera only goes up to 3200, so all the example will be based on my camera, but the concept will be the same with yours definitely.
By increasing the number, the camera will be able to receive more light in less time. The way I perceive is like this: In 1 minute, I want to get 5 litres of honey. I first start with 100 bees, and that is not enough. I try with 200 bees, and that is enough to get me 5 litres of honey.
Does that make sense? Let's put it back into the camera concept. If I wanted to take a shot with dim lighting, and I wanted to keep the shutter speed at 1/50, I would need to put the ISO at 400. I hope that makes sense now.

PROs and CONs
Pros: Able to choose a fast shutter speed to freeze movement.
Cons: Noisier shots.

What do you mean... Noisier shots?! Are you saying my photos are going to make sound?!
Ummm... No. No matter what you do to your photos, they will not make sound by themselves. Noise is what is classified as grains or colour distortion. The higher your ISO is, the grainier it gets and it will affect the quality of the photo.


ISO 100 is normally the best and normal ISO that would give you the best colours, quality and with little noise. Although this is the best option for most times, there may be times where you will need to push the ISO up to keep away from using flash (or you just want to see noise). Indoor sports, concerts, art galleries, churches etc, may not allow photographers to use flash, and being indoors, it's likely to be dim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment