Thursday, May 26, 2011

Smoke Photography : Take One

Hi everyone!
It seems like a long time since I’ve posted anything. But don’t worry, this post will be pretty good (well at least I think so).  And guess what? It’s about Smoke Photography! (Yay?)
So yea, I tried this smoke photography out, and it all started when I reheated my bowl of mashed potato (don’t you think the potatoes at ALDI is cheap as hell?!), and I saw smoke coming out, and I’m like, “OMG! It’s smoke!! Quick, get my camera out!” And yea, it started with that, but I first noticed that you must have a black background in order to be able to see the actual smoke. This was the end result. DSC_9179

Bad much? I guess you can still see a tiny little bit of smoke.




So then, one day (Yea, this was all done by accidental timing) I was boiling a cup of honey lemon, and I saw the smoke, and decided to boil some water in the kettle and plan my background. I used a black scarf as my backdrop, and I used my bedhead light to do the shining part. So I boiled the water, and put it on the backdrop, and took shots. Because the smoke was coming out of hot water, the smoke wasn’t really consistent. I had to blow lightly so the smoke would gradually come out and just flow into the air. Also, the smoke wasn’t really long in terms of height. Because the water was coming out of a cup, the smoke was just not getting high enough. The maximum height was only about 4cms. That’s it. If it went further, the smoke would’ve just gone into the wind.
So this brings me into another point. This “smoke” was technically not smoke. In my opinion, I reckon it’s just water vapour. Remember, smoke is meant to be dry, not wet. So yea. I have lots to improve on this photography. Definitely.
Here are some of the “better” shots I got. Hope you enjoy them!
DSC_9280 - OriginalDSC_9280-inverted
DSC_9261 - OriginalDSC_9261 - inverted
DSC_9262- OriginalDSC_9262-inverted
And so next time, I really think I should have something up that is more interesting.

1 comment: